Higher Modern Studies
Standard Grade in a social subject preferably at Grade 1
Intermediate 2 in a Social subject at grade A or B
Higher English or prospects of
It must be emphasised that pupils need to have a good command of English and must be able to write in sufficient depth and detail in essays.
Politics in the UK
This unit is split into two different study themes :
- Devolved Decision Making in Scotland
- Electoral Systems, Voting and Political Attitudes
Social Issues in the UK
- Wealth & Health Inequalities in the UK
Again, this unit is split into two different study themes :
- The United States of America
Discussion and pupil opinion of the issues covered are very much encouraged at Higher level, in addition to class written work which include essays and reports.
- Pupils must pass assessments for each of the three units
- There is a Prelim in February
- The external exam is in May to determine your grade
Regular homework is given out in the form of essays and reports. In addition, pupils are encouraged to keep an eye on current affairs and what is happening in the wider world.